Seattle Design Festival - September 15-25, 2011
Opportunities for AIA Members!
Mark your calendars! Plans are coming together for the first-ever Seattle Design Festival a city-wide event September 16-25 that reveals and celebrates the importance of design. To learn more about the Festival, click here.
Many of you have already expressed your enthusiasm and interest in being involved, either as an individual or as a firm. This is an opportunity to show the broader public the value of design and our role in it. We excited to bring our members out in force to help make this debut a success! Here are several different ways members and member firms can connect with the Festival.
Become a Festival Volunteer
With over 30 events in 10 days, the Festival will only be a success with the help of volunteers. We have leadership roles and short-term opportunities available to suit your schedule. Here's where you can make a difference:
- Pop-Up Design Center Curator - This volunteer will spend the summer curating and populating a "Pop-Up Design Center," planned for Pioneer Square. Learn more.
- Volunteer Coordinator - This volunteer will organize efforts to recruit and assign the helpers we need over the Festival's 10-day run. Learn more.
- Social Media Coordinator - This volunteer will develop and implement the Festival's social media strategy. Learn more.
- Festival "Street Team" - These volunteers will hand out Festival promotion at public events this summer (SAM Remix, First Thursdays, and others). To join the Street Team, contact Linda Norlen.
- Volunteer Sign-up - We'll need volunteers for many different roles. To be added to our Festival roster, please contact Debra Haraldson.
- FutureShack 2011 - Our marquee program of the Festival - FutureShack - is in its third year and still going strong. Interested in being a part of this program on the future of residential design and how it fits into our neighborhoods? Contact Karoline Vass to volunteer.
Produce a Festival Activity
We've set up a full menu of lectures, films, tours, and events, but we've deliberately left room on the Festival calendar for social events, audience participation, and spirited get-togethers with the goal of educating the public on the importance of design. We invite you to take the lead in organizing around one of these opportunities.
- PARK(ing) Day - Turn parking into parks! This year's annual event lands on the opening day of the Festival. We want to rally as much of the design community to participate as possible, to show what design can do to transform urban public space. Learn more about PARK(ing) Day.
- Pop-Up Programming - The Pop-Up Design Center is a great place to plan an activity related to the Festival theme, "Beneath the Surface." Have an idea for a publicly-focused, design-oriented activity? We have selected dates and times available. Propose an activity by June 21 to Linda Norlen.
- AIA Member Firm Activities - Do you have an idea for a social event, quirky contest, or other activity that will help make the Festival a smashing success? Accepted activities that are open to the public, and feature a program or exhibit that touches broadly on the Festival theme of "Beneath the Surface," are eligible to be included on the Festival's community calendar. Propose a program by June 21 to Linda Norlen.
Want to support the Seattle Design Festival in a meaningful way, but don't have much time? Sponsoring the Festival is a great way to be involved in making the Festival a success (and put your name out there in the process). To learn more about sponsorship opportunities contact Stephanie Pure at (206) 448-4938 ext.103.
Thank you for your support in helping make this first Seattle Design Festival the place to be this Fall. Together we can tell the story of how good design makes a difference.